Prepare for Internships
Why Get An Internship?
Gain experience and learn by doing in a field of interest to you while earning your degree with an internship. Work experience of any kind matters when looking for post-graduation opportunities. Employers also believe an internship, whether it earns academic credit or not, is one of the most impactful resume builders available to college students.
An internship in a field of interest to you after graduation can be particularly beneficial because:
- It can help you feel more sure of your goals after graduation
- It can increase your confidence and awareness when searching for post-graduation opportunities
- You may be able to earn academic credit and be paid at the same time
- Many employers offering paid internships hire primarily from that group of interns when offering full-time jobs
What is an internship?
- A guided learning experience designed with the your education and preparation for future employment in mind.
- A temporary assignment, usually lasting only 1-2 academic terms, with no guarantee of ongoing employment.
- Your work is overseen by a professional with practical experience in the field.
- Offers you the opportunity to demonstrate and develop their technical skills and professional skills such as teamwork, effective communication, social interaction and professional networking, leadership, and critical thinking.
- Internships do not have to earn academic credit or be paid, but both are often possible and desirable.
When internships are pursued for academic credit, the academic unit is responsible for assessing assignments and awarding credit. If interested in academic credit for your internship, contact your Academic Advisor or academic department internship coordinator.
Please note: At present, only internships that are fully remote are eligible for academic credit. This policy is in place until at least July 1, 2020. Please contact your academic department internship coordinator for the latest guidance and to identify other options for completing required credit if your internship was disrupted.
How We Can Help
100% Engagement: Summer Impact Awards
Build Skills & Gain Experience
Have the confidence to pursue internships in your fields of interest. Eligible students can apply for $2500 scholarship so you can get the experience you need, while having the financial support you need.
Personalized. Ongoing. Support.
Job & Internship Search Preparation
Looking for support as you search for a job or internship? Design Your Search (DYS) will help you understand what you need to know to complete a successful search.