Build the Skill
Master these skills to succeed in and out of class!
There are three essential skills all students need to navigate college life: collaboration, leadership, and professional communication
These are also the top in-demand skills employers and graduate schools look for in applicants. Give yourself an advantage by enrolling in Build the Skill, a free, online program designed to help you develop these skills.
Whether your post-college plans include getting a job, going to graduate school, or are unsure what your plans are just yet, you can count on taking these skills with you!
Complete the free program online through D2L, going at your own pace. Take one or take them all (one at a time, please!).
Now Enrolling for Fall: September 7 - November 15, 2021
Over the course of 5 weeks (about 2 hours per week), you’ll:
- Learn new tools and strategies, like how to deal with difficult people on a team, or how to build your network.
- Apply what you’ve learned directly in your real-life activities.
- Demonstrate what you’ve learned by developing your own e-Portfolio.
- Earn a digital badge that you can share on your LinkedIn and Handshake profiles to showcase your skills.
What Skill Do You Want to Master?
In choosing a track, consider this:
- For Leadership & Collaboration, you must be involved in a club, group project for a class, internship, job, or other activity where you can practice the tools provided.
- For Professional Communication, you will complete an informational interview. This would be most useful if you’re pursuing or are already involved in an internship.
Working with others in a class project or a club committee can often feel stressful. So many personalities and opinions! Want to help create a better experience – for everyone?Start Collaborating
Identify your own leadership style and strengths, how to apply them in your real life and help you develop other important leadership qualities, like empathy.Start Leading
Raise your hand if you think networking in super awkward? Practice the skills necessary for effective communications, verbally, written and visually - and get templates for emails and phone scripts.Start Communicating