What You Need to Know About Internships
Students who complete an internship are 2x’s more likely to report full-time employment post-graduation! Employers report that an internship, whether it earns academic credit or not, is one of the most impactful resume builders available to college students. Many employers offering paid internships hire primarily from that group of interns when offering full-time jobs.
In addition to doubling your chances of having a job by graduation, internships can…
- Allow you to test out your interest working in a certain field
- Connect you with mentors that can serve as references for future opportunities
- Increase your confidence and awareness when searching for post-graduation opportunities
- Allow you to earn academic credit and be paid at the same time
What is an internship?
An internship is a short-term work experience often offered to students to allow you to gain exposure and experience in their field of interest. All internships are different, so whether they are paid or unpaid or offered for course credit or not is up to both the organization offering the internship and the academic department that would award the credit to you. If you want to receive credit for your internship, you should first coordinate with your academic advisor or internship coordinator in your major to make sure it’s possible.
When should you look for an internship?
The earlier the better! Here are some general guidelines about the timing of your search:
- Begin between 6-9 months before you need a job or internship
- The larger the organization, the earlier they recruit.
- Employers often recruit their summer interns in the fall prior to the internship start date. If you want a summer internship, start your search process in September or October of the year prior.
Regardless of when you start, it’s never to late to apply! If you haven’t started early, that’s okay, just plan to spend more concentrated time now. Set some time aside to prioritize the application process weekly. A more dedicated job or internship search can take closer to 2-4 months.
Where do you search for internships?
Handshake is the #1 way college students get hired. Over 550,000 employers and 100% of Fortune 500 companies recruit on Handshake and there’s opportunities for every major. When you complete your profile, you’re 5x’s more likely to be messaged by employers! With Handshake, the job search is a two-way street. By selecting your career interests and uploading your resume, Handshake will make smarter recommendation and allow employers to find you!
How do you find internships on Handshake?
- Log in to your account using your NetID and password at arizona.joinhandshake.com
- Click on the “Jobs” tab
- Use the “Internship” filter
- Combine the “Internship” filter with other filters to help narrow your search by clicking on “All Filters”