Peoria, IL, US, 61639
Req ID: 28130
Onsite or Remote: Onsite Position
Komatsu is an indispensable partner to the construction, mining, forestry, forklift, and industrial machinery markets, maximizing value for customers through innovative solutions. With a diverse line of products supported by our advanced IoT technologies, regional distribution channels, and a global service network, we tap into the power of data and technology to enhance safety and productivity while optimizing performance. Komatsu supports a myriad of markets, including housing, infrastructure, water, pipeline, minerals, automobile, aerospace, electronics and medical, through its many brands and subsidiaries, including TimberPro, Joy, P&H, Montabert, Modular Mining Systems, Hensley Industries, NTC, and Gigaphoton.
As a Data Science Intern, you will be responsible for a range of support activities for the Surface Factory Analytics team. The Surface Factory Analytics team develops applications and produces data visualizations for both external and internal customers. Activities will include performing exploratory data analysis to identify trends, patterns, and insights that assist in the development and implementation of custom algorithms and machine learning models.
This hybrid position will be based onsite at our Peoria campus. The target start date for this role is Summer 2024 and has potential to be extended into the Fall 2024 school semester. We offer full-time hours during the summer and flexible part-time hours during the academic year.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Collect, clean, and preprocess data from different sources to ensure accuracy and relevance
- Assist in the development and implementation of machine learning models and algorithms
- Perform exploratory data analysis to identify trends, patterns, and insights
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to translate data insights into actionable business recommendations
- Help create data visualizations and dashboards to effectively communicate findings to stakeholders
- Support the team in maintaining and updating existing data pipelines and models
- Stay up-to-date with the latest developments in the field of data science and bring fresh ideas to the team
- Pursuing a bachelor’s or advanced degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or similar, from an accredited college or university
- Strong understanding of fundamental data science concepts, algorithms, and methodologies
- Proficiency in at least one programming language commonly used in data science (e.g., Python, R, SQL)
- Familiarity with data manipulation libraries (e.g., pandas, numpy) and data visualization tools (e.g., Matplotlib, Seaborn, Plotly)
- Solid understanding of statistical analysis and hypothesis testing
- Excellent problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Effective communication skills and ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- Coursework or projects related to machine learning, data mining, or artificial intelligence
- Experience with machine learning frameworks (e.g., scikit-learn, TensorFlow, PyTorch)
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to derive meaningful insights from complex data
- Knowledge of SQL for data querying and manipulation
- Experience with cloud platforms (e.g., AWS, Azure, Google Cloud) and big data technologies
- GitHub portfolio showcasing data science projects or contributions to relevant open-source projects
The Komatsu Internship Program is rooted in community, collaboration, and innovation. Intern program perks include:
- Several Intern-inclusive networking opportunities such as:
- Meet & greets with executive leadership
- End-of-Summer Capstone presentations
- Company-sponsored travel opportunities
- Potential to come back or join us as full-time employees
- Real-world project work alongside local, regional, and global team members
- Mentorship from experienced subject-matter experts in your field
We’re excited that you’re interested in an internship with Komatsu, and we look forward to reviewing your application! While you wait for future communication from our team, we encourage you to learn more about our business by visiting www.komatsu.com.
Komatsu is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Nearest Major Market: Peoria