A Game Plan for a Career Fair
RESEARCH EMPLOYERS AND POSITIONS
Be sure you know which employers will be at the fair. It's even better to know the types of open internships and jobs employers are looking to fill.
Review the list of employers and identify your top 5-10 picks (note who is also holding info sessions). Download and fill out the Action Plan worksheet with their details. Do your research and be ready to impress!
- Determine which professional attire you will wear.
- Collect essential items to take to the fair:
- Notepad and pen
- Copies of your resume
- Completed Action Plan worksheet
- A professional portfolio of your work samples (optional)
- Check in at the student registration table to pick up a name tag and a copy of the fair layout.
- Practice your elevator pitch with a few employers before approaching your top picks.
- Watch the traffic flow in the room and if a line seems too long, select another employer.
- Review the information about the employer before you approach them.
- Ask for the business card of each contact.
FOLLOWING UP AFTER THE FAIR
- Write thank you e-mails within 24 hours to those recruiters you visited at the career fair.
- Keep accurate records of your contacts with companies. Include dates of your letters or telephone calls and copies of all application materials you send.