Job Shadow Program: Host a Wildcat
Provide Insight & Opportunity for Students
The UA Job Shadow Program (JSP) is an opportunity to host a student at your organization for just ONE DAY to offer insight into your work and workplace, while also providing greater exposure for your organization, job function, and industry to career-curious Wildcats of every year and major.
Intentionally designed as an educational and exploratory experience for students, the JSP may be some students’ initial exposure to a real-life work environment. For most Wildcats, a UA Job Shadow represents the chance to meaningfully assess a career area which they might otherwise overlook, while others are simply seeking to deepen their knowledge and build their professional networks in an already-chosen future field.
Any Office, Anywhere
Any professional who can host a shadow in a non-home office, anywhere in the world (though we can’t guarantee that students will apply to opportunities that are far from Arizona.) We have a wide variety of students with a huge array of interests and career aspirations, so we are open to all kinds of shadows in all sorts of industries.
Many of our hosts are UA alumni, while others are big UA fans, or just fans of the Job Shadow Program and its possibilities. Students are responsible for all travel expenses and arrangements. Many students travel home during breaks, which is why we are thrilled to offer opportunities all around the country.
One Day, During Major School Breaks
The Job Shadow Program typically runs during early summer, winter break, and spring break. The host form (click on the big red button!) allows you select the sessions, and the dates within the sessions, that work best for you.
- Winter Break shadows take place during the first half of January.
- Spring Break shadows take place within one week each March.
- Summer Break shadows take place over two weeks in mid-May.
Upcoming Dates & Deadlines
The WINTER BREAK Job Shadow Session will be ONE DAY (your choice!) between January 2-14, 2020.
- NOW: Host applications open!
- October 20, 2019: Host application period ends.
- October 21-November 17, 2019: Student applications open.
- December 2-6, 2019: Students & hosts notified by SECD of their shadow matches.
- December 9-13, 2019: Mandatory student orientations occur; students contact hosts and finalize details for their shadow day.
- January 2-14: Job Shadows take place in Tucson, throughout Arizona, and around the United States.
Interested in hosting a Wildcat?
To let us know you're interested in hosting a Wildcat, fill out our Host form by clicking the button below.
What Your Shadow Might Look Like
Depending on the nature of your industry and organization, the job shadow day may consist of:
- observation of your daily work
- sitting in on meetings/other activities
- touring your facility
- presentations by executives
- informational interviews with professionals in your office
- or hands-on experience
Curious about how student matching works and other details about the Job Shadow Program process?
Sample Job Shadow Agenda
9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Arrival, Introductions, Meet the Staff, Get Coffee
10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Overview of Field/Observe Work
12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Lunch with Staff or at Your Favorite Restaurant
1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Presentation from Executive/Facility Tour/Meet with Staff Member
2:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Group Activity/Hands-On Activity/Meet with Staff Member
3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Closing, Questions, Reflections
This program is in partnership with The University of Arizona Alumni Association and allows our alumni the opportunity to engage with current students on their journey to finding their own career path.