Blue Chip Years 2-4
What You Can Expect from Years 2-4
Years 2-4 will prepare you to:
- Become an Inclusive Leader who Promotes Positive Change
- Continue your Personal and Professional Development
- Engage with the Community
- Apply your Leadership Skills
Time Commitment: 1-3 hours/week
- Fall semester - 1 hour a week Team Meeting, plus three required events throughout the duration of the semester (i.e. Opening Event, Field Day, and Blue Sync).
- Spring semester - 1 credit leadership course (one hour per week) and two required events (i.e. Service Learning and Theater Sports).
All events are scheduled well in advance and you will be given plenty of notice of the dates and times so you can plan accordingly.
"The skills I’ve gained are practical and important. The network of friends I have been able to create has been amazing. The way I have been able to develop as a leader is undeniable linked to my participation in the Blue Chip program. I can say with confidence I am a leader in my community because I have been given all the skills needed by my participation in this program.”
Year 2 - Learn:
You will learn advanced leadership concepts and apply them to create positive social change.
- Design Thinking for Social Change – Two-credit course focusing on learning how to create social change using design thinking. This is an interactive course that requires participation and engagement from the students to maximize learning experience.
- Design Thinking Challenge - You will compete in teams of 5 students to address real life issues facing local community organizations. This provides students the opportunity to apply what you learned in the fall semester. You will research and present a solution to the community partner addressing the issue.
Year 3 - Practice:
Apply the leadership skills and knowledge you have developed while creating positive change.
- Equiss Leadership Retreat and Exploration Project – Attend a three-day retreat to explore social justice and inclusive leadership, then work with an organization of your choice to make a difference in the community.
- Professional Development – Build professional skills through the Design Your Search program, and network with leaders in the community through Leadership Chats
- Leadership Internship - Apply the leadership skills that you have learned by participating in an internship within Leadership Programs.
Year 4 - Lead:
You will apply the skills and knowledge you learned in Blue Chip to a large-scale community service project. Year 4 is designed to help you develop the professional and life skills needed for a smooth transition from college into life after Arizona.
- Applied Learning Experience
- Service Learning Project
- Inclusive Leadership Education
- Professional Development
- Senior Capstone
Each year of the program costs $375. Students who enroll in Blue Chip Leadership the First Year Experience prior to July 10th, 2019 will receive the early bird fee of $350. This one time offer for the First Year Experience does not carry over to years 2-4 of Blue Chip. Any subsequent years that you participate in Blue Chip will cost $375. Fees are charged to your University account at the Bursar’s Office and can be paid in the same manner that you pay tuition or other fees.
Students in Blue Chip who demonstrate the need for financial assistance to pay the yearly Blue Chip fee are eligible to apply for a fee waiver. The Fee Waiver Application is available to students who have financial aid or express the need for financial support. Filling out this application does not guarantee a Blue Chip fee waiver. Please note the fee waiver form will only be available for returning students from May 1st-June 25th.
If you do not receive a fee waiver or if you need assistance paying the $375 fee, you can enroll in the payment plan by filling out the Blue Chip Payment Plan Form. Enrolling in the payment plan will split the fee into two payments of $187.50 which will be paid at the beginning of the Fall and Spring semester.
The fee waiver application is only available for current student until June 25th. After June 25th the application is only available to new members in Blue Chip. Once you fill out the application, Blue Chip staff will review the application and contact you if you receive a full or partial fee waiver. Decisions are not made until late August.