Blue Chip: First Year Experience
What is Blue Chip: First Year Experience?
Blue Chip Leadership is a nationally renowned program whose mission is to build leaders that make a difference. Blue Chip Leadership: First Year Experience helps you develop leadership knowledge and skills by combining academic and extracurricular activities like:
- Team Building
- Community Service
- Professional Development
Blue Chip Leadership will help you:
- BE ENGAGED. Connect with fellow students, the Arizona campus, and the surrounding community.
- BE COMPETITIVE. Master skills graduate schools and employers want. You can start building that resume now.
- BE A LEADER. Develop your leadership potential and go big!
“I remember I originally signed up for Blue Chip because I wanted to make some friends and learn about leadership. I got way more out of the program than just friendship and leadership skills. I was surrounded by people who were open minded, accepting, and valued school. Most importantly, Blue Chip opened my eyes and changed how I viewed my world.”
- Leadership Team: Fall and spring leadership courses consists of weekly team meetings with a community of other first-year University of Arizona leaders led by a peer leader who will help you develop leadership skills and connect to the Arizona campus.
- Exciting Events: Leadership development events that will expand your capacity through fun and experiential programming (Field Day Teambuilding Initiatives, Blue Sync lip-sync battle, and Escape Room)
- Leadership Courses: Leadership classes (1-credit, Fall & 1-credit, Spring) to explore your leadership identity, perfect your resume, and create a leadership plan for your time at Arizona.
- Community Service: Participate in community service experiences each semester.
Leadership Courses for Credit:
All first-year students in Blue Chip will be required to take a 1-credit leadership course in both the fall AND spring semesters. In the classes, you will learn about important leadership skills and creating positive change in your community. Blue Chip Leadership classes are required and you will be given the opportunity to select the time that best fits your class schedule.
Time Commitment: 2-3 hours/week
- Fall semester: 1-credit hybrid (online & in-person) class (HED 297a: Topics in Leadership: Blue Chip First Year Experience), 1-hour a week Team Meeting, online leadership assignments, plus required events throughout the semester.
- Spring semester: 1 credit leadership internship course (EDL 293) focused on working with a Tucson community non-profit. 1-hour/week Team meeting plus required events throughout the semester.
All events are scheduled well in advance and you will be given plenty of notice of the dates and times so you can plan accordingly.
As a student in the First Year Experience, you have the opportunity to live in Pueblo de la Cienega dorm, which houses 30 Blue Chip students each year. The Blue Chip Leadership Theme Community hosts great events designed for Blue Chip students who want even more leadership, involvement, and community-building opportunities.
Highlights of the Blue Chip Leadership Theme Community:
- Weekly Blue Chip Team meetings are hosted in the Pueblo de la Cienega hall
- You’ll be on a team with other students from the Theme Community allowing you to develop strong connections with your teammates
- Special events hosted just for the Theme Community members
Please visit the University of Arizona's Residence Life site to learn more about living in the Blue Chip Theme Community and how to submit a housing application.
The First Year Experience costs $350. This fee is charged to your University account at the Bursar’s Office and can be paid in the same manner as your tuition and fees.
Fee Waiver: Students in Blue Chip who demonstrate financial need can apply for a fee waiver by completing the Fee Waiver Application. Completing the application does not guarantee a Blue Chip fee waiver. The Fee Waiver form will be opened from July 10th-August 10th. Only students who have enrolled by July 10th are eligible to receive a fee waiver.
Payment Plan: If you need assistance with the Blue Chip fee, you can enroll in the payment plan by filling out the Blue Chip Payment Plan Form. Enrolling in the payment plan will split the fee into two payments which will be charged to your Bursar’s account each semester.
Outstanding Leadership Award
Every year, outstanding student leaders are awarded the "Outstanding Leadership Award" based on their leadership contributions in high school and community. These awards allow students to participate in Blue Chip Leadership: First-Year Experience free of charge (Cost of program $350).
The "Outstanding Leadership Award" is a non-renewable award and can only be used for Blue Chip Leadership: First-Year Experience. This $350 award is non-transferable.
Accept Your Award:
If you received the "Outstanding Leadership Award" and you wish to accept your membership into Blue Chip Leadership, please accept the award by completing the form linked to the email and in your packet. Please accept your award right away as there is a limited number. If all awards have been claimed, you will be placed on a waitlist and will be notified if an award becomes available. You are still able to participate in Blue Chip even if you don't receive an award.