Employer Information Sessions
Why Attend an Employer Information Session
Employer Information Session are events hosted by employers to educate students and prospective job applicants about their company.
Attending an employer's info session will help you:
- Get a feel for the company and its culture.
- Have the opportunity to see if you would be a good fit there.
- Learn about the positions available at the company.
- Learn how your position fits into the overall scheme.
- Network: Opportunity to build some contacts that could be helpful in the future
What to Expect from An Employer Information Session
Many companies hold information sessions on campus during the recruiting season in order to explain the job opportunities they have available and offer more information about the company and its organizational culture. Most info sessions range from one to two hours long and consist of a company presentation where current employees explain the values and mission of the company followed by an opportunity for students to talk to company representatives about the company and ask any pertinent questions. Employer reps are often recent grads able to describe what you might expect during your first couple of years should you join the organization.
How to Prepare
Preparation should include:
- Doing a little background research on what the company does, specializes in, and job opportunities they have, etc.
- Being aware of competitors in the industry and how this company views itself in comparison to them.
- Learn about the industryso you understand exactly what the company does.
- If you have a geographic preference, knowing about the city you want and why you want it (sometimes differences between firms in particular locations focus on specific industries and sectors).